Categories
ABC-7 | WZVN

Alleged hacking group creates videos to threaten Cape Police

A group of people claiming to be hackers are threatening the Cape Coral Police Department. They go by the name “Anonymous,” and have uploaded at least three YouTube videos since last week — each sending a harsh warning to the department.

Each video shows a masked man standing. He even altered his voice.

“This is no joke. The only joke is your security,” the masked man said.

This spokesperson for the group claims to have access to sensitive information.

“You should really keep a tighter security of your server data. We suggest you heed our warning,” the masked man said.

The spokesperson says he has a list of officers, along with their addresses and phone numbers.  They have claimed to have hacked the department’s server. The group has already released dozens of names and has threatened to release more.

They are upset over the arrest of now 21-year-old Travis Robey. He was arrested last June after a suspicious vehicle call. Screams can be heard on cell phone video captured during the arrest. 

Last week, Robey accepted a plea deal. The harsher charges were dropped.

The group “Anonymous” believes Robey was forced to cave in. His attorney told us last week, the family just wanted to move forward with their lives. But a spokesperson for the group “Anonymous” says they are out for revenge on behalf of Robey.

“Chief Bart Connelly, do the right thing for your city and take these officers badges and guns,” the masked man said.

We are waiting on a response from the police department and the union. The spokesperson for “Anonymous” has also promised us a statement. We asked for an interview, but the spokesperson said the group is not based in Lee County and don’t want to meet up for security reasons.

The city denies any server was hacked.

On Friday, there’s a protest calling to end police brutality in Cape Coral at 10 a.m. It’s on Del Prado Boulevard at Pine Island. There’s also a rally in support of law enforcement in Fort Myers later in the day at 3 p.m. on Daniels Parkway and US-41.

Categories
NBC-2 | WBBH

Alleged hacking group creates videos to threaten Cape Police

Cape Coral police on Friday said they are being threatened by a group that is unhappy about a verdict in a court case, which is posting videos online and doing a ‘doxing’ attack on personnel.
Doxing is when someone searches for and publishes private or identifying information about someone on the Internet – usually with malicious intent, police say.
According too police, the group has been threatening them for over a week – since last Thursday.
The group is upset about the verdict in the criminal case of 21-year-old Travis Robey – who authorities say took a plea to a felony charge of resisting an officer with violence after his arrest in June of last year. Cape police say Robey had fought with them outside of a Cape Coral pool hall.
The group asserts it’s getting the identifying information about Cape police personnel by unlawfully intruding into the city’s computer system and Web site, police say.
Cape police and their Information Technology staff are working “to ensure the security of city networks and systems,” police said on Friday.
Earlier this week a city spokesperson denied the city’s server was hacked.
Cape police said Friday they’re working with state and federal agencies in an ongoing criminal investigation into this. 
“The Cape Coral Police Department takes threats against its personnel, whether explicit or implied, very seriously,” said CCPD Det. Sgt. Dana Coston. “We are vigorously exploring all investigative avenues at every level.”
The group threatening Cape police claim to be hackers and go by the name “Anonymous.” They have uploaded at least three YouTube videos since last week – each sending a harsh warning to the department.

Each video shows a masked man standing. He even altered his voice.

“This is no joke. The only joke is your security,” the masked man said.

This spokesperson for the group claims to have access to sensitive information.

“You should really keep a tighter security of your server data. We suggest you heed our warning,” the masked man said.

The spokesperson says he has a list of officers, along with their addresses and phone numbers.  They have claimed to have hacked the department’s server. The group has already released dozens of names and has threatened to release more.

Robey was arrested last June after a suspicious vehicle call. Screams can be heard on cell phone video captured during the arrest. 

Last week, Robey accepted the plea deal and the harsher charges were dropped.

The group “Anonymous” believes Robey was forced to cave in. His attorney told us last week, the family just wanted to move forward with their lives. But a spokesperson for the group “Anonymous” says they are out for revenge on behalf of Robey.

“Chief Bart Connelly, do the right thing for your city and take these officers badges and guns,” the masked man said.

We are waiting on a response from the union. The spokesperson for “Anonymous” has also promised us a statement. We asked for an interview, but the spokesperson said the group is not based in Lee County and don’t want to meet up for security reasons.

There was a protest Friday calling to end police brutality in Cape Coral that began around 10 a.m. on Del Prado Boulevard at Pine Island. Counter-protesters also showed up at the location in support of police.

There was also a rally scheduled in support of law enforcement in Fort Myers at 3 p.m. on Daniels Parkway and US-41 – which we heard has been moved to Del Prado in Cape Coral.

The protest had only a few people present holding signs around 11:30 am – one of the protesters could be seen wearing a Guy Fawkes mask on the back of his head, a mask similar to those used in the video.

Categories
ABC-7 | WZVN

Employees want answers after FMB restaurant unexpectedly closes

A Fort Myers Beach restaurant unexpectedly closed.  Now, employees say they want their paychecks. 
Dock O’ the Bay Bar and Grill suddenly shut down — leaving more than 20 employees showing up to work on Tuesday without a job.  Many workers we spoke with are stunned.  They say they are owed money and are left wondering what happened to their jobs.
“Nobody expects to come to work and not have a job,” said Amanda Craig, a recently laid-off employee. 
That’s exactly what happened this week at Dock O’ the Bay.  Many employees say they don’t have paychecks or answers for customers still showing up. 
“Why? I didn’t really have an answer to tell them.  I really didn’t get that much information out of it. All I got was that you’re screwed, pretty much,” said Michael Risk, an employee. 
The restaurant had only been open for five and a half months.  Staff members say recently they’ve had problems, including lack of menu items.  We found a customer of the restaurant who tried the business before it closed.
“The first time we came here, my wife said it would be the last.  We didn’t know that they were closing,” said John Corrado, a customer.
We reached out to owner Jack Dawson by phone and got no answer.  Employees and neighbors pointed us to his home.  But the door was slammed shut when we tried to ask questions.    
Dawson’s former employees are left feeling helpless. 
“Anyone who treats their family or employees like Jack Dawson treats his employees should not be in business.  It’s harsh, but it’s true.  You can’t do this to people who rely on you,” said Keith Phillips, a former employee. 
Employees tell us they are preparing a class action lawsuit against Dawson for withheld pay, workers compensation and writing fake checks. 
Categories
NBC-2 | WBBH

FGCU’s Jake Sherwin receives honor

Florida Gulf Coast golfer Jake Sherwin was named to the Atlantic Sun All-Conference Second Team Thursday, as selected by the league’s head coaches.  Sherwin led the Eagles in nearly every statistical category during his junior season.  The Fort Myers native and former Evangelical Christian High School star led FGCU with a 72.78 scoring average – nearly two shots better than any other member of the Green and Blue.  In nine tournaments in 2014-15, Sherwin finished in the top 10 five times, top 15 seven times and top 20 an incredible eight times.

(information from FGCUAthletics.com was used in this story)

Categories
NBC-2 | WBBH

Neighbors concerned with proposed Cape development

Hundreds of homeowners are pushing back against a development plan in Cape Coral.  
Originally D.R. Horton proposed building 69 homes on a plot of land.  The houses would be built on 5,750 square foot lots on Cape Coral Parkway and Sands Boulevard. 
But, that’s against city code.
Neighbors took it upon themselves to make the situation right. 
“I didn’t like the lot size.  I didn’t like the fact that they just kind of looked cheesy,” homeowner John Deering said.
More than 750 people have signed a petition to reduce the number of home and increase the size of lots D.R. Horton is building.  
“The first day I looked in my e-mail and saw 50.  The next day 50 or 70.  Then finally, we had as many as 750,” petitioner Ed Shultz told us.
They have also asked the city for things like extra palms and a gated community — all to ensure the price of homes stay high.  
Now, neighbors might be getting what they want.  D.R. Horton has come back with a revised plan — knocking the number of homes down to 58 and increasing the lot size to 10,000 square feet.      
The petition will go before city council, but Schultz and the homeowners are negotiating with the developer to find common ground. 

The petition will go before city council, but Schultz and the homeowners are negotiating with the developer to find common ground. A planning committee meeting is set for June 3rd to finalize the plans.

Categories
NBC-2 | WBBH

Employees want answers after FMB restaurant unexpectedly closes

A Fort Myers Beach restaurant unexpectedly closed.  Now, employees say they want their paychecks. 
Dock O’ the Bay Bar and Grill suddenly shut down — leaving more than 20 employees showing up to work on Tuesday without a job.  Many workers we spoke with are stunned.  They say they are owed money and are left wondering what happened to their jobs.
“Nobody expects to come to work and not have a job,” said Amanda Craig, a recently laid-off employee. 
That’s exactly what happened this week at Dock O’ the Bay.  Many employees say they don’t have paychecks or answers for customers still showing up. 
“Why? I didn’t really have an answer to tell them.  I really didn’t get that much information out of it. All I got was that you’re screwed, pretty much,” said Michael Risk, an employee. 
The restaurant had only been open for five and a half months.  Staff members say recently they’ve had problems, including lack of menu items.  We found a customer of the restaurant who tried the business before it closed.
“The first time we came here, my wife said it would be the last.  We didn’t know that they were closing,” said John Corrado, a customer.
We reached out to owner Jack Dawson by phone and got no answer.  Employees and neighbors pointed us to his home.  But the door was slammed shut when we tried to ask questions.    
Dawson’s former employees are left feeling helpless. 
“Anyone who treats their family or employees like Jack Dawson treats his employees should not be in business.  It’s harsh, but it’s true.  You can’t do this to people who rely on you,” said Keith Phillips, a former employee. 
Employees tell us they are preparing a class action lawsuit against Dawson for withheld pay, workers compensation and writing fake checks. 
Categories
ABC-7 | WZVN

Buccaneers choose Jameis Winston with first pick of 2015 NFL draft

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers did what most expected; the organization chose quarterback Florida State’s Jameis Winston with the first pick of the 2015 NFL draft.

Winston was not in Chicago and chose to watch the NFL draft at home with family and friends in Alabama.
Winston won the Heisman Trophy as a redshirt freshman in 2013. He also lead the Florida State Seminoles to a BCS national title.
Categories
NBC-2 | WBBH

Buccaneers chose Jameis Winston with first pick of 2015 NFL draft

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers chose quarterback Jameis Winston of Florida State with the first pick of the 2015 NFL draft. 
Winston was not in Chicago and chose to watch the NFL draft at home in Alabama. 
Winston won the Heisman Trophy as a redshirt freshman in 2013. He also lead the Florida State Seminoles to a BCS national title.  
Categories
ABC-7 | WZVN

Lee Co. teachers concerned about end-of-year exam evaluations

There are new developments about a controversial decision by the Lee County School Board. The board decided to no longer count the state mandated end-of-course tests towards students’ grade — which is breaking state law.

On Wednesday night, we spoke with Superintendent Dr. Nancy Graham who is concerned about the decision.  We found out even if the tests don’t count for students’ final grades, they will be used to essentially grade the teachers.

No special meeting has been called to discuss the decision before the next regular board meeting in May. The school board does not have any plan to change the vote.

The president of the Teacher’s Association of Lee County tells us he’s worried about the teachers.

Two days after a controversial decision by the Lee County School Board, the president of the Teacher’s Association says teachers who normally hold all the answers instead have more questions.

“Nobody thought through that, so now we have to deal with it,” said Mark Castellano, president of the Teacher’s Association of Lee County.

On Tuesday, the school board voted to not count the end-of-year exams towards students’ grades. The tests normally county for 30 percent of a student’s final grade.

Now, teachers are wondering what to replace it with.

“We don’t know exactly how our grades are going to be calculated, so there is still some discrepancy there,” said Jill Castellano, vice president of the Teacher’s Association of Lee County.

Jill Castellano is a ninth grade history teacher at East Lee County High School. Her students do not take an end-of-year-exam, but she says the teachers whose students do are confused.

“Then when our students ask questions, how do we answer those questions to provide them with the most accurate information?” said Jill Castellano.

That’s not the only concern. While the tests will not count for students, they will count for teachers.

Mark Castellano says the test results make up 33 percent of a teacher’s evaluation. With the tests not counting for students, he’s concerned it will not be an accurate measure.

“There are going to be kids, understandably so, that are going to walk in already fed up with taking tests as it is. They are going to Christmas tree the test,” said Mark Castellano.

Students we talked to say that’s not true across the board.

“Every student should [take it seriously] no matter what, even if it’s not toward our grade,” said freshman Beverly Smith.

“If they’re giving you a tests, they’re giving you a test for a reason. They’re not just giving it to you for your health,” said sophomore Troy Smith.

Still, Mark Castellano wants the test scores dropped from teacher evaluations this year.

“We’re dealing with at situation that we don’t know what the consequences are going to be,” said Mark Castellano.

We spoke with school board member Steve Teuber on the phone. He tells us the school board does have a plan in place for this decision that they have relayed to the principals at each school. That’s to decide how to come up with a final grade for their students, document it and move forward.

Categories
ABC-7 | WZVN

Government offices to only buy flags made in U.S.

Soon all Florida government offices will have to buy and fly flags that are only made here in the U.S.  The bill is sitting on the governor’s desk, and he will surely sign it into law.  
On Thursday, we found a lot of patriotism and American pride around Southwest Florida.  Many were surprised lawmakers couldn’t pass a budget and focused on passing bills that they said seemed like common sense.
Made in the U.S.A. — words that make a lot of people proud, especially veterans. 
“I take pride in it,” said veteran Chuck Anderson.
Chuck Anderson served in two wars and feels a sense of pride when he sees the Red, White and Blue. 
“I’m a patriot.  I love flying it,” said Anderson.
This week, the Florida legislature passed a bill requiring government agencies to buy American flags that are made here in the U.S.  It reads in part, “When a state, county or city municipality purchases a United States flag for public use, the flag must be made in the United States.” 
Democrat Jeff Clemens, who represents Palm Beach County, used the debate of the flab gill to jab at the House — which ended the session Tuesday leaving bills unfinished.
“I’m an American citizen, and I believe everyone that is one should be proud of the flag and fly it whenever and wherever they want to,” said Eric Strange.  
Eric Strange is the general manager at Family Hardware in Cape Coral.  They sell only American flags and are proud to honor veterans. 
“We couldn’t ask anything more of them and they paid.  They paid the price for our country, and we deserve to fly the flag and be respectful to them,” said Strange. 

We reached out to several city and county offices to see how this will impact their budgets. Most of them said they don’t see it impacting things much at all because flags are not something they have to buy often.